I know my limits...

I do not cut hair.  I've made a few attempts over the years...at my own hair, my husband's and my little boys'...all without success.  My last attempt, son #2 was about 12 years old, and he asked me to trim his hair that was growing out from a buzz cut.  He said, "Mom it's easy, just trim the edges."  I was hesitant. We had the hair clippers...how hard can it be?  Well, I trimmed the edges alright...right off. His hair went straight back from about eye level...no side burns...nothing.  Oh, it looked horrible. Anyway...I won't touch the clippers...

My husband has the very trendy hairstyle, that according to him, "everyone is copying these days." He uses the 1/2 clip on the trimmer...which basically, it's shaved almost off.  He looks very handsome.  I'm proud of him for embracing what nature has given him...instead of hiding it with a "comb-over" or even the "power donut".  (Click here for a very entertaining and informative site about men's hairstyles)  My daughter is his barber now.  She does a VERY good job!  Son #2 used to do it...but then he left for college.  Again, my husband asked me to cut his hair...I said no way.  Not going there again.  I know my limitations and cutting hair is beyond them.  My 14 year old daughter cuts it usually very willingly, sometimes striking some sort of bargain with her Dad.  Tonight, she would cut his hair, if he would quiz her on her English for her final tomorrow.  Wow, that was an easy trade.

Cookies for Santa!
A couple of days ago I told you about my advent calendar that flips to a new picture of past Christmas's each day.  As I again sat flipping through the pages tonight, I am just aching for my little girl.  But you know...my teenage girl is pretty darn sweet...a Sweet Fringe Benefit for sure.  Little ones are delights. They make fun Christmas lists, they ask detailed questions about Santa Claus, they race to the advent calendars every day...BUT, my teenage girl is a delight in other ways.  Willingly cuts her Dad's hair, rolls her Grandma's hair in curlers, calls me from school to tell me she got a 94 on a final...still a delight...just different than it used to be.  And that's what Sweet Fringe Benefits are all about...finding the good, the Sweet, in being 49 years old and watching my family and my own life change right before my eyes.  It's okay.  There are good side effects of getting older.  
On her new "wagon bike".  I made the
little pink chenille robe she is wearing.
Ugh...tugs at my heart!






















I love these houndstooth corduroy pants I bought at JCPenny from the Joe Fresh line.  I've worn them all Fall and now in to Winter.  Loft blush polyester blouse, Loft gray boiled wool 3/4 sleeve jacket, Emaack Designs petrified wood 3-strand necklace, snake skin pumps.  Another 55 degree day...so no overcoat required!

I thought I'd post a few more pictures of my vignettes around the house.  I hope you are loving all your ornaments and decorations...and that they are evoking all sorts of memories.

Enjoy!

Nanette








Comments

Popular Posts