Didn't you do that last year?

I've had a blast today.  It was 72 degrees here in Middle Tennessee.  It was the perfect day for me to "collect" my greenery for all my fresh greens arrangements.  I did feel a little under the gun...winter storm Cleon is pressing eastward, the rain begins tomorrow, and the temperatures drop on Friday.  This really needed to be done today.

I have a new source for Southern Magnolia leaves...I made the deal to "prune" a friends tree late last summer.  White Pine does not grow naturally here, only where it's been planted. And I don't have any in my yard...sooo....I use my old strategy of driving around with the pruners in my car and look for opportunities to "serve others" by pruning their trees.  I have a large old cedar tree in my yard that I take trimmings from, as well as Nandina, Holly and red-twig dogwood.  Click here to read about the contentious red-twig dogwood bush that I blogged about a couple weeks ago.  I swung by Home Depot the other night to pick up "free" Christmas Tree branches that have been cut off the bottom of purchased trees.  All of these greens combined make some pretty spectacular, and free, arrangements.

To the left are some of my pots that I filled with fresh greens.   I still didn't get my garland hung over my front door, as you can see in the background.  But it's getting there.  I did change out the bow on my wreath to a burlap one.

It's so easy to make these outdoor arrangements.  The dirt holds the greenery in place.  As I described in yesterday's post, I just keep adding and working the arrangement until I'm satisfied.

A simple arrangement of three
stems of Southern Magnolia leaves.
These will last all season long, as I
have wet floral foam in the vase.
As shown below, I set up a table with various containers filled with water and water soaked floral foam.  Some of the containers aren't water safe...so I just add a small rubbermaid container to hold the floral foam.  And make sure you buy the "wet floral foam" and not the dry.  I give small greens arrangements as little hostess or neighbor gifts.  I still need to tie a ribbon around the mason jar.  As long as you get the greens in water, they will last the entire Christmas season.
A work in progress


Some of the completed arrangements
I never want to get "stale" in anything I do...decorating, dressing, cooking, daily routines, not anything! But I find a comfort and confidence in some of my traditional decorating that makes me happy.  So I think there is a balance between "doing the same thing I've always done" and "finding something new".  An all "magnolia" arrangement is new for me, the burlap accents throughout my garlands, trees and wreaths are new.  That balance is my Sweet Fringe Benefit today, a mix of old and new.  





Outfit of the Day:  Well, since I promised honesty, I might as well tell you that I didn't get my shower and dressed until 5:00 pm today.  Why bother right?  Well, I visited a friend and went to my daughter's basketball game tonight.  That's why. Remember, being dressed and cleaned up is not only good hygiene, but good for the psyche.  And that's why I post a selfie everyday.

J Crew Factory pink velvet blazer, Loft jade-green blouse, Loft Black jeans, yellow belt, Emaack Designs turquoise necklace, snakeskin pumps.  I LOVE velvet in the winter!  I don't follow any rules for it, but I think it's fair game to wear anytime from November through February, not just during the holidays.  I've worn this blazer with jeans, over a sleeveless sheath dress, with a metallic skirt...so many options!  I bought this one two years ago.  It hasn't disappointed me in its usefullness.

Go ahead, try something new for Christmas this year.  Put things in different places.  Buy white pointsettias instead of red.  Decorate your chandelier.  But don't let go of things that make you happy just because no one else is doing it, or because you can't be bothered.  You won't be disappointed...

Nanette

Comments

Popular Posts