A Nasty or an SFB?

I know I don't usually blog on Sunday, but I didn't post on Friday, and I'm feeling the need to work out a few things.  I came across this video today.  I saw it last year as well.  It's provided alot of "food for thought".  Take a look...



As I said in my profile, I don't have a bucket list.  I've stopped making New Year's Resolutions the last several years because I'd just end up breaking them within a couple of weeks.  I'm not proud of that...as a matter of fact, I'm wondering if this year, I should at least try to make a few again.  You know the saying, if you shoot for the stars, and only reach the moon, it's better than not leaving the ground in the first place.  Hmmm, something to think about.  I think that's one of the "nasties" of getting older, knowing your failings and giving up.  Ya, that's a nasty.  I don't like it.

I do love this video about New Year's, and the comparison to the Biblical story of Lot's wife.  (Genesis 19)  If I look at this story from the perspective of being 49 years old, I think it's actually a great lesson. If I dwell in the past, and look back all the time, I will never appreciate today.  I guess this is why I'm writing a blog about the Sweet Fringe Benefits of being my age.  And with that, today's sfb is having the option to make a few New Year's Resolutions...or not.  I will let you know.  I'm not caving to the pressures of the season...if I set a few goals, it'll be because I'm ready.

I've read the quote below several times the last couple of weeks.  Thought I'd share...I think it applies whether you are proud of your past or not.

"The past is to be learned from but not lived in.  We look back to claim the embers from glowing experiences but not the ashes.  And when we have learned what we need to learn and have brought with us the best that we have experienced, then we look ahead and remember that faith is always pointed toward the future."  Elder Jeffrey R. Holland  

A few experiences the last couple of weeks have exposed some flaws in my personality/character.  So I am not going to look back, as Lot's wife did.  But look to the future, and realize, as cliche as it is, that "today is the first day of the rest of my life."  And maybe I'll change, maybe I'll get better.

As I've read throughout my blog, I see reflections of mistakes I made when I was younger.  I'm sure I will do that 10 years from now, reflecting on who I am today.  That's good.  It means with or without New Year's Resolutions, I'm making progress, through life experiences....I'll take it.

Outfit of the Day:  Church day.  Willi Smith black boiled wool capelet from several years ago, Ann Taylor gray silk blouse, Ann Taylor Leopard print ponte knit skirt, red snakeskin pumps.  The sales are starting now.  Be you still need to be a savvy shopper.  Don't buy from the sale rack unless they have at least a "Take an additional 40% off the lowest marked down price".  Ann Taylor has an additional 60% off overnight tonight, and will repeat that off and on throughout the next month or two.  I picked up a knit dress from Banana Republic this weekend for $20!  It is from their Issa Designer Collection from late last summer.  It'll be a great dress come springtime.

I'd love to know if any of my followers make New Year's Resolutions?  Do you make them light-heartedly?  Do you write them down?  Are they the same ones you made last year? (That's what I have a problem with)  Feel free to comment any suggestions or insights you have.

Nanette

Comments

Popular Posts