Not giving in...

I went to Bootcamp today for the first time in 2 1/2 weeks.  Let me tell you...it was painful. Towards the end of the workout I was nauseous...and it wasn't even a heavy cardio workout.  We did a lot of basic weight training with kettlebells, dumb bells, and plates.  As I stated in my bio, I love exercise when it's over.  I love the feeling of being fatigued, knowing that I've worked out hard.  I even like the mild side-effects of the "workout flu"...you know, the muscle soreness that shows up a day after a hard workout.  But today I was discouraged at how out of shape I felt.  I felt every bit of my 49 years.

I'm really trying to talk myself out of feeling that it's my aging body that is screaming at me.  I've felt this way before...after a vacation...whether out of town or just the "my give a da#n is busted" vacation. I'm thinking my reaction to today's workout is more a function of only getting my heartrate up  3x last week, and no bootcamp workouts the previous week.  The Donut Express donuts, Shoo Fly Pie, Nana's famous chocolate chip cookies, all the socializing focused around meals are all taking their toll on me...as well as 36 hours in the car within 8 days.  Yes, I do believe that my body's reaction to this morning's workout has nothing to do with my age, and more to do with the disrespect I've shown it the last couple of weeks.  Maybe I'm in denial, but finding other reasons to blame my body's failure on is a Sweet Fringe Benefit today.  I'm not giving in...

I've felt this way before.  The holidays come around every year, and every year I say to myself, it's a holi-DAY...not a holi-season.  And then I over-indulge and feel like I'll never get back to the fitness level I was before.  I'm not going to beat myself up.  Experience tells me that after two weeks of bootcamp and eating better, I will be feeling more optimistic about my 49 year old body. I've also learned that the WORST thing I could say to myself is "I give up.  I'm tired of fighting the battle." My trainer told me this morning (this is not a scientific quote, but I know I've heard it before, and I believe it) that working out and eating right doesn't make a big difference in your life expectancy, but it does alter the quality of life the last 15 years of your life.  So I will keep plugging along, bootcamp, running, walking, cycling, and TRYING to eat right.  Because the alternative is NOT a Sweet Fringe Benefit of getting old...it's a nasty.

I returned home to this BEAUTIFUL display from my blooming Christmas Cactus.  Isn't it spectacular? People often ask me what my secret is.  I wish I could remember how old these cactus are.  But I do have a couple of hints.

1.  I put the cactus out on my porch all summer long.  They never get direct sunlight.  I water them MAYBE once every two weeks.  I fertilize with miracle grow in the summer about once a month.  I stick them outside as soon as I can count on it not freezing anymore.
2.  I have repotted new cactus in clay/ceramic pots using cactus soil (very sandy).  This seems to help, as some of the soil new plants come in (especially the ones from costco) seem to hold too much moisture.
3.  I leave the cactus out as long as I can in the fall, trying to delay the blooms as long as possible.
4.  When they are in bloom, they need a bit more water.  I water them about once a week.


Yesterday's outfit for church:  I found this skirt at Macy's earlier this fall for pretty cheap.  It's a Sunny Leigh brand.  I thought it was very pretty...it looks crocheted, and has a few sequins on it.  I've paired it with an Ann Taylor silver silk charmeuse blouse from last year, and a Loft black velvet coat from many moons ago.  Talbots Grey Suede boots, also several years ago, and an Emaack Designs Gray Pearl and pyrite multi-strand necklace.
Today's Outfit of the Day:  JCrew Factory cardigan, Ann Taylor zebra print silk blouse, Loft purple corduroys, Black Shooties, Emaack Designs Statement necklace...same as yesterday.  All past seasons.

Oh...and one more thing.  My daughter and I are doing the burpee challenge this month.  Dec 1st...1 burpee.  Dec 2nd...2 burpees...you get the picture.  Care to join me?  I figure it will probably be the only exercise I get on the 24th and 25th...I'm not letting my age or the holiday season be an excuse.  Going to keep moving...

Nanette

Comments

Popular Posts