Class of 1982...

During a rest stop on my ride today, I discovered I was the oldest in the group.  Oh man!!!  I declared, "I'm older than everyone!"  And in consolation, Kate said, "You're not older than your parents!"  Was that supposed to make me feel better?  Comic relief I guess.  It was kind of funny...sort of.  But as I rode at the back of the line today, I thought of the fun evening I enjoyed one night last week.  And it made me smile.

I grew up in a small suburb of Boston.  My husband's parents still live there.  Funny, my daughter called it "Storybrooke", because it reminded her of the fictional town in the show "Once Upon A Time".  We moved away from that area 16 years ago.  When we return, our time is filled with activities with our family and long-time family friends.  There are always visits left undone and sights left unseen when our trip is over.  Last week though, I was able to reconnect with several high school girlfriends. Oh it made me so happy!  I think it has been at least 10 years since I've seen them.



And guess what???  We are all the same age!  We listened to the same music, (gotta love Earth, Wind and Fire), wore similar clothes (fair isle sweaters!), knew the same people, knew each other's parents and family situations, what we were good at...and then not so good at.  I know age is just a number. And I'm really going to need to work on not comparing myself to others of different ages...what does it matter if the girls I rode with are a couple years younger than me?  Today's Sweet Fringe Benefit are high school friends that don't make me feel "older" or "younger".  They understand my history, where I came from.  I'm not saying that you can't have "new" friends.  I love "belonging" to several groups of girlfriend-cliques.  Each fulfill my need for connectivity in different ways.  But today...I was thinking of these gals.  Love you all!

So I posted before Thanksgiving some of my Christmas decorating.  My main tree is still a work in progress.  This is how I role with decorating and personal style...I keep adding, changing, and adapting until I'm happy with it.  I found this really cool, old-fashioned glittery wire garland at a little shop in Massachusetts last week.  Today I made "pics" to accent the top of my tree.  Check it out!




I used some very small dowels that I had in my craft drawer.  They're about a foot long.  I wrapped the garland (it's about the size of a pipe cleaner...but on a continuous roll) around the dowel and stapled it in place.  It already had a curly-q shape from being wound on the spool.  Then I just added them around the top of my burlap bow.  I also had some look-alike baby's breath foliage from last year.  It's actually plastic, with little sequins on the tips.  I'm so pleased with the top tonight...it has a really pretty yet subtle shimmer.  I'm going to keep my eyes open for any other garland or foliage that I can add.  It's just about "done".

Outfit of the Day:  I should've kept working this outfit...I'm not thrilled with it.  I do love my cheetah print pants from Banana Republic.  They are like a corduroy without the ridges.  I paired it with a grey t-shirt, and grey long cardigan from the back of my closet.  I wrapped a red scarf around a couple of times for color.  I will wear this better next time...

The pants are the "Camden" fit, which I really like.  Although these pants are no longer available, there are several other prints and colors that are.  Click here to check them out.

And to my girlfriend that said my parents are older than me...you had to expect that one in the blog today.  You're not getting away with it....wink...(where are the emoticons on a blog keyboard?)...

Nanette

Comments

Popular Posts