Failure and relief...

I had feelings this weekend that vascillated between failure and relief.

My husband's medal!
The Country Music Marathon and Half-Marathon was this past Saturday here in Nashville.  My husband ran the marathon.  I personally know at least eight people that ran the full marathon, and over 10 people that ran the half-marathon.  And I wasn't one of them.  I've run the Nashville half-marathon 3 times.  I've run 2 full marathons.  So why did I feel like such a failure this weekend that I didn't participate?

I really don't love the route of the Nashville half-marathon.  It's extremely hilly, and there is no shade.  So even though the marathon starts at 7:00 am, the sun is beating down pretty strong if there isn't any cloud cover.  And one thing I really hate when I'm running is to be hot.  I'd rather run in 25 degree weather than 75 degrees.  Thus, the feeling of relief from the weekend that I didn't run the race.

What I have realized today is the admiration I felt for my husband, friends and acquaintances that set a goal, put in the work, and ran the race...no matter the distance.  Even though I grumbled that my husband signed up to run again, and I had to drive him to the starting line at 5:30 am, I am so proud of him and his discipline and resolute conviction to achieve his goal, despite the winter's running conditions (he'd rather run in 75 degrees...hates the cold) and minor injuries. 

Some people set once-in-a-lifetime goals for the year they turn 50.  I haven't set any that are specific to turning 50.  After this weekend, and my feeling of failure, I've decided to set a couple specific goals...and actually articulate them in the blog.  I will do a century ride (100 miles), and I will run at least another half-marathon.  I'm not ready to commit to another full marathon.  I'm not sure if I ever will.  I'm not saying I will do either of these events in a certain time.  I'm just going to finish.  And that's a Sweet Fringe Benefit of turning 50....just saying I did it will be good enough for me.

I have a couple of Outfits of the Day.  I didn't post last Friday, but I had a great outfit so I need to share it with you.  Loft curvy white jeans, Ann Taylor beige/cream polka dot blouse, Boden polka dot cardigan, Tom's linen wedge sandals, Emaack Designs multi-strand pearl necklace.  I've had the sweater for at least 5 years.  I bought the blouse this spring on the Ann Taylor clearance rack.  I love these two polka dots together. 










Sunday's Outfit of the Day:  Banana Republic black/white skirt, JCrew Factory Coral shell, Liz Claiborne white blazer, Franco Sarto black patent leather sandals, TJ Maxx rhinestone necklace. I watched this skirt all through this winter at Banana.  I loved the style, but didn't think it'd fit me right.  When it hit the sale rack, and it was an additional 40% off the markdown price, I tried it on.  It was very different than anything I had.  I love it.

Today's Outfit of the Day:  JCrew Factory cheetah print blouse, JCP bright aqua jeans, black patent Birkenstocks, Emaack Designs quartz necklace. The jeans are very soft and have plenty of stretch...about as close to yoga pants as you can get!

Congratulations to everyone that ran, ran-walked, crawled, hopped and shuffled this past weekend.  My hat is off to all of you!

Nanette

Comments

Popular Posts