The Sandlot...




















When my boys were in elementary school, I used to look at the pubescent boys a few grades ahead and shudder.  I'd see the dark hair beginning to grow on their legs, the fuzzy peach fuzz mustaches, the awkward growth patterns...like a nose that grew before the rest of the face, or the feet that grew before the legs, and just cringe with "ew".  But then my boys became those early adolescents...before girlfriends, before a license, not much after deodorant...when days were spent having dunk contests on the driveway (with the hoop lowered), when the batting net was on the driveway along with a bucket of balls for weeks at a time, when the rope swing still provided hours of entertainment...and when The Sandlot was the favorite family movie.


While flipping the channels the other night, I caught the last 15 minutes of The Sandlot...you know, the part when Benny "The Jet" Rodriguez pickles the Beast, and then they give the epilogue of where all the boys ended up...still love that the geeky "Squints" marries Wendy Peffercorn and has 9 kids.   I realized, as I was crying (because I ALWAYS cry watching The Sandlot) that I could write an epilogue already about my boys and their baseball and school buddies.

Today's Sweet Fringe Benefit is being pretty proud of the Johnson boy's epilogue...Matt "MJ" Johnson went on to marry his freshmen crush and still can't sit still for long.  He is expecting his first son and plans on putting the baseball in his boy's left hand.  Harrison "Harry" Johnson is a missionary living in Brazil and continues to keep everyone laughing...either in person or via email.  The boy, that was always comfortable with just being who he was, has now changed.  He is humble.  He still seeks solace in a white and yellow blanket.  I could wish that we were still in the reality drama of everyday pre-pubescent innocence.  But you know that can't happen.  And so I will focus on the sweet epilogue that will continue to expand as my boys grow even more in to productive, responsible adults. 

I still can't believe my boys are adults.  I know it's so cliche...but seriously, where has the time gone?  I must admit, there were moments when I would daydream about not having children at home...and of course, I thought it sounded very glamorous.  A clean house all the time (nope, that hasn't happened).  Plenty of sleep (ya, right...didn't plan on the sleep disruptions multiple times a night...covers on, covers off).  A second career (hasn't happened yet, unless you call "blogger" a new career).  It's not glamorous. 

Outfit of the Day:  Well I have a couple.  Friday night was date night.  My husband and I went to dinner downtown and then to the play "Wicked".  It was a beautiful warm night.  I love a summer dress for an evening out. This khacki dress is from Talbots a couple years ago.  I just paired it with a JCrew Factory cardigan, Emaack Designs magnesite necklace, pink snakeskin skinny belt.  Very simple, cool and comfortable.
Sunday's Outfit of the Day:  Banana Republic Issa knit dress from last summer's designer collection.  I found this on the clearance rack early winter and paid only $25!  The blazer is also from Banana, on the clearance rack this spring.  Banana Republic statement necklace as well.
Today's Outfit of the Day:  Denizen (Target brand) skinny jeans, JCrew Factory blouse, JCrew Factory statement necklace. 
If you're looking for a little nostalgia, I suggest you watch the movie The Sandlot.  Bring your tissues...whether your boys are pubescent or grown...doesn't matter...

Nanette

Comments

Popular Posts