That thing-a-ma-jig...


Hard to believe the difference a day makes.  I was in a pretty bad way yesterday.  That happens no matter what age you are.  But in the right here, right now, because I'm 49 years old, I started a blog... a blog to find good when all I feel is bad.  And that's exactly what happened.  Today I had a different attitude, a new perspective.  I had a little help too...a beautiful spring day, a long bike ride with two good friends, a 93 on an algebra test, AND a trip to Chik-fil-a for dinner. 

I ran a quick errand today.  As I was standing in line to check out, I observed a somewhat painful conversation between two friends and the cashier.  The two women were late 50's, early 60's...and I hope I'm not wrong.  Because all of a sudden I can't say just 50's, because soon that will be my number.  Their conversation went something like this.

"Hey, we could use this fabric on that...ah...that...thing-a-ma-jig."

"On what?"

"You know, that...that...thing.  Ugh...you know the thing we bought at that place?"

I just started laughing.  The one gal turned to me and said, "I have no idea what she is talking about."

And then they finished their transaction, and walked out of the store laughing at and with each other.

So my first reaction was OUCH!  Is that where I'm heading?  I already lose my train of thought in the middle of a conversation, or can't think of the word I need sometimes. AND, I was a little frightened at how quickly my looks are going to go downhill.  But they were having the best time together, and I realized today's Sweet Fringe Benefit.  I've named friendship in varying degrees as an SFB before.  But today, there's nothing sweeter than a longtime friendship with someone that is going through the same stage of life as you are.  You can laugh at each other, throw in the towel together, or fight the effects of aging together.  I have several friends that fall into that category.  Such a blessing. 

Outfit of the Day:  Ann Taylor navy/white striped sweater/blazer, Max Studio heathered navy t-shirt (TJ Maxx), Mossimo mint green jeans, Banana Republic statement necklace, Black patent birkenstocks. 

I really need a better sense of humor when it comes to this aging process...girlfriends...let's remember that...

Nanette

Comments

Popular Posts