Pack the Park...

When my oldest son was a senior in high school, a classmate of his died of a rare disorder called Stevens-Johnson Syndrome.  (Click here for a link to the mayo clinic definition) Each year, her parents award a scholarship in her name to a high school senior that exudes the same zest and love for life that Elizabeth did.  Tonight was the annual Pack the Park for Patton at the softball field, a sport she played and loved.  Her parents accepted donations towards the scholarship fund, and spoke of their gratitude to the school and community for remembering their daughter.

I can't believe it's been five years.  Five years since my son's senior year.  Five years since his walk off homerun at the last home game he ever played.  Five years since 30 of his friends graced my porch at a pre-prom dinner.  Five years since senior pictures, college applications and yes, five years since a major senior attitude.  In those five years, my son has spent two years living in Argentina as a missionary, can speak Spanish fluently, reunited with his freshmen crush, got engaged, married and now has a baby on the way.  He is a man.  With man responsibilities.  And tonight, I keep thinking of the parents of his classmate, whose daughter never left high school.  She never finished her senior year.  She never made it to prom, or to her final senior softball season.  I talk about wishing my children never left home and "losing" my son to adulthood.  Huh, not tonight.  Tonight, I am grateful.  And I compassionately hurt for the parents who lost their only daughter before she ever had a chance to become an adult.

I know I've named perspective a Sweet Fringe Benefit of getting older before.  But it just seems right to name it again today.  I was bugged all afternoon because my new GPS Garmin for my bike only registered 770 calories on my ride today, when my riding buddies' burned 1300.  I feel like I've been emotionally "put in my place", "called out", and "read the riot act".  You don't need to be 49 years old to experience these feelings.  But unfortunately, it seems like the older I get, the more tragedies I see to people I know!  And then I remember...perspective.  So I am going to be grateful that I have two legs that can pedal 24 miles.  I am going to be grateful for a son that helps his little sister with Algebra homework via FaceTime.  I am going to be grateful that even though I only get an email from my missionary son in Brazil once a week, he is alive, healthy, and coming home in 15 months.  Gratitude and perspective both are today's SFBs.

Outfit of the Day:  Loft peach jacket (same jacket from yesterday's post), Joe Fresh white v-neck, Denizen skinny jeans (Target brand), Me Too sandals, Emaack Designs statement necklace.  I love these Joe Fresh V-neckT-shirts.  They're only $10, and are a great weight.  They're a little heavier than the JCrew Factory t-shirts.  And just a little advice, buy a new white and black t-shirt for summer.  If you wear them as much as I do, surely they are stained, snagged or a bit ragged from last summer.  Basic T's are a great wardrobe staple, but they shouldn't look like you wore them to bed.

Wish it didn't take other people's suffering to remind me just how sweet my life is....

Nanette

Comments

Popular Posts