My style...

My mother didn't "believe" in blue jeans when I was growing up.  I'm sure that doesn't make sense to you if you are younger than me.  But having a mother that was of "the greatest generation", being raised in the 30's and 40's, being a young mother in the 50's, and a mother of teenagers in the 60's and 70's, clothing made a statement.  And in the 70's, blue jeans made the statement that, in my mother's eyes, you were a pot-smoking, Woodstock-loving, America-hating hippie.  That sure sounds ridiculous now...but in her traditional and conservative eyes, that's what blue jeans stood for.  Don't worry...my mother started wearing blue jeans by the 1980's.

Mom was the classic domestic engineer.  And she did it with style and grace.  When I'd come home from school, she was always dressed beautifully.  Either in wool trousers, or a wool skirt, or a lovely cotton dress--and nylons.  Even if she had been working in the garden, polishing our linoleum floor or staining the woodwork in the new chapel, she'd clean up and look lovely.  

I guess I adopted part of her daytime fashion sense...in that, if I'm going to shower and get dressed, I'm going to go all out.  I'm not real good at ultra casual.  With my 5'3" frame, I just feel frumpy in a graphic t-shirt and blue jeans.  And if I feel frumpy...I'm grumpy.  For the last 17 years I have been a stay-at-home mom, with a short stint at a contract job last year.  Repeatedly I'd hear from acquaintances that I ran in to during the day, "Do you work?"  I think my somewhat overdressed fashion sense for running errands seems to throw people.  For years it bothered me.  I sort of took offense that people were judging me that I wanted to put nice clothes on when I got ready for the day.

Today I went to a luncheon honoring a young missionary who will be returning home to her family next week.  After my 7.5 mile run and 10 mile bike ride, I quickly showered and put on a skirt and a t-shirt to go to the luncheon.  And I got that question again, "Do you work?"  I now quickly reply, "No," knowing exactly where the conversation is heading.  She then responded, "Oh you always look so nice, I figured you had a job."  This is who I am.  I'm not apologizing for how I dress.  My style doesn't make me feel better than you...it just helps me feel like the best me.  I'm not shrinking or feeling badly that others don't understand that my style is all about me.  And that's a Sweet Fringe Benefit of years of comments that once bugged me, and now no longer do.

Outfit of the Day:  Ann Taylor boatneck white t-shirt, Ann Taylor navy/black ponte knit skirt, Emaack Designs magnesite necklace.  Pretty simple outfit.  Very comfortable.  I love wearing skirts in the spring and summer.  Ann Taylor had some great sales this week...an extra 40% off sale prices.  I did see that the prices are actually cheaper in the store than they are online.  Shop smart!

My style and fashion philosophy work for me.  It makes me feel good.  Be confident in whatever style you have.  I didn't realize how much my mother influence my fashion sense until tonight.  Something else to be grateful to her for....

Nanette

Comments

Popular Posts