Peeps...

Peeps.  Most adults, heck, most people I know, don't like them.  When I was a kid, my Easter basket always had Peeps in it.  I'm not sure why my Mom always included them...maybe they were colorful, or cheap, or maybe she thought that I really loved them.  I didn't.  I preferred the jelly beans, creme-filled Cadbury eggs, and chocolate-covered marshmallow bunnies.  The Peeps were the last thing in the basket when everything else was eaten...and by that time, they were a bit crunchy.  I discovered they were pretty tasty after sitting in the Easter basket for a couple of days unwrapped.

My mother hasn't made me an Easter basket in 29 years.  But for probably 25 years, she's been sending me Peeps in the mail.  She cracks open the plastic around the Peeps before she slips them in to a mailing envelope.  She doesn't include a note or a card.  Some years I get snowman Peeps at Christmas, or pumpkin Peeps at Halloween.  Embarrassingly, for a lot of years, I kind of rolled my eyes when I'd get them in the mail.  Some years I ate them, some years I didn't.  But for the last couple years, I smile when the envelope arrives.  I know exactly what's inside. 

I will always be a daughter.  And my mother will always be my Mom.  The Peeps are no longer about the holiday they represent, or even a sweet treat to enjoy.  They are proof that my Mom thought about me, loves me, focused on me and my life.  Yes, I get that from Peeps.  Because now that I'm a Mom to adult children that live out of state, sending packages isn't easy or quick. A package from Mom means for just a minute, you are a child again and your mom is making you an Easter basket, or a special dessert, or a surprise treat.  My Mom's memory isn't great anymore.  But, I received TWO packages of Peeps from her this Spring!  She forgot my birthday last year, but not Halloween and Easter Peeps. I love my sweet Mom. Peeps are my Sweet Fringe Benefit today...I will always remember my Mom's love for me when I see them. 

Today's post was prompted by my quest for cute, creative and fun Easter decor.  Check out what I made with the Peeps tonight!  I wrapped Peeps around my battery-operated candles, and tied a piece of raffia them.  I found pastel basket filler at Michael's and put all of this inside my glass hurricanes in my kitchen. 

Outfit of the Day:  JCrew Factory cheetah print blouse, JCrew Factory khacki skimmer pants, Black patent Birkenstocks, Banana Republic statement necklace, yellow skinny belt.  The birkenstocks are a new experiment.  I have a couple of friends that swear by them.  I found them at my favorite shoe store at a significant discount.  The jury is still out on how comfortable they are...still breaking them in.








If I can find an sfb (Sweet Fringe Benefit) in Peeps, you can find one anywhere...just keep looking!

Nanette

Comments

  1. Oh, Peeps. The candy people love to hate (not since the black jelly bean has a candy had so much unlove). Check out my facebook page dedicated to Peeps. This is an activity that we do as a family each Easter.

    BTW I enjoy your blog. I'm a 50 year old and much of what you say resonates with me--minus the cute clothes (I'm not a fashionista like you).

    link: https://www.facebook.com/PeepsLife

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Danette, your Facebook page is hysterical! Got a good chuckle. Thanks for the kind words...glad to hear from others so I'm not crazy in some of my thoughts.

      Delete

Post a Comment

What is the best Sweet Fringe Benefit of your age?

Popular Posts