One Day at a Time...

Give me a chance before you tune out because of the cliched title. 

I was talking to a "young" friend of mine today.  Young, as in, under 20.  That young.  He said he recently found out the importance of taking one day at a time.  I've been thinking about our conversation all evening, and it's really made me think reflectively.

Yes, I believe in setting goals, in looking down the road, in planning for the future.  But, I need more "one day at a time" in my life.  Even my cooking meltdown earlier this week could have been averted by just taking an "evening" off, instead of telling my family I'm never cooking again.  I use a lot of words like never, always, forever, everyday in my vocabulary.  I'm big on commitment...when I say I'm going to do something (except lose weight), I do it.  But sometimes that's enough to bury me in overwhelming feelings of endless ... endlessness.

I should have learned by now that nothing stays the same for long.  Not a colicky baby that cries from 5 pm - 11 pm everynight, not a teenager that makes life really uncomfortable in your home, not laundry filled with baseball clothes covered in red brick dust, not hot flashes (I'm hoping).  I wish I could add that eventually I won't have to cook dinner...but I'm going to take it one day at a time.  And maybe I won't cook dinner some nights, and maybe other nights, I'll actually make simple bbq chicken sliders and a yummy kale (bagged) salad.  One Day at a Time...that's my Sweet Fringe Benefit today.  Thank you my young friend for that reminder.  

Outfit of the Day:  I pulled an old jean skirt out of my closet today.  I read that they're coming back...I probably haven't worn it for 2 years.  I've passed by it on several closet cleanouts...I'm glad I did.  This is a Kut from the Kloth jean skirt.  I bought it in a moment of retail therapy after I dropped my first son off at college.  The retail therapy didn't slow the tears, but I did end up with a great timeless skirt.  The grey/white striped tshirt is from JCrew Factory this spring.  Emaack Designs petrified wood necklace.  Betsey Johnson floral espadrilles.

There's a reason why certain phrases become cliches...because they ring true...

Nanette

Comments

Popular Posts