It's just a number...

My parents were always older than my friends' parents.  I was always very conscious of that growing up.  I don't think I was embarrassed by that.  I was just aware of it.

Fast forward 40 years later...and my parents have outlived many of my friends' parents.  Kind of crazy.  But I am grateful to have them here.  My Mom hates her birthday...she always has that I can remember.  Last spring she was at my home when we celebrated her 89th birthday.  I told her it wasn't about celebrating how old she was...it was about celebrating her and that she was born!  I gave my Dad the same speech today as we celebrated his 89th birthday!

Today's Sweet Fringe Benefit is, of course, my Dad's birthday, and being able to celebrate it in person with him!  I can't tell you, embarrassingly, how many years I never got a card in the mail to him because I was brain dead from Christmas.  And this year...I could hold his hand and wish him Happy Birthday in person.  Having parents that are 40 years older than me gives me a perspective on my own age.  For years, my Dad has been telling me that family, his posterity, is what's really important in life.  "That's all that matters," he'd say.  There's something a little rebellious inside of me that doesn't want to listen to my parents.  I'm almost 50 years old...and I still feel that way sometimes.  Ugh...I'm not proud of that.  But, having them live with me, is helping me see how genuine and honest and without guile they truly are.  They give advice because they love me, because they've seen joy and peace, as well as pain and angst.  I am blessed to have them here.  And even though they don't love their age all the time, I'm glad they're 89.

No outfit of the day today.  Didn't take a picture before I changed in to my PJ's!

I do love these moments I have to reflect on the day and find the sfb.   I hope you are finding yours as well...

Nanette

Comments

Popular Posts