#lovelivingintennessee...

Alright.  This is going to take some work, because I just saw myself in a group of "peers"... and they were all what I would call "old", or at least the majority of them were.

I was asked to participate in a focus group that would evaluate a survey to be sent out to all city residents.  I know one of our city commissioners and she invited me to attend.  I was honored, interested and even excited to attend.  I walked a little taller across the parking lot thinking that someone actually wanted my opinion.

As I walked in to the room where the meeting was being held, my shoulders hunched over a bit.  I saw a room full of 50 and 60 somethings.  Ouch.  I was included in that peer group.  Ok...there might have been a few 40 somethings...but only a handful.  Seriously?  Are these my peers?  Is this the demographic I fall in to? The truth hurts.

I love living in Tennessee.  I actually have a hashtag on instagram #lovelivingintennessee.  My husband and I left Massachusetts almost 17 years ago, and until we moved to Brentwood 11 years ago, I wanted to move back to New England.  This feels like home.  I love the landscape, the climate, the open space, the respect for history, the running paths, the access to shopping conveniences (Costco, Publix and Target are only 4 miles away), and yet look at my view outside my back porch....


I love the back roads for cycling, the traditional christian values, the southern accents, and the strength of my church.  I love that one of the first questions people ask you when you are new is, "Have you found a church yet?"  I love that the community supports high school football en masse, and that I don't pay a state income tax.  I love that my city purchased the historic 400 acre farm across the street to preserve the open space for future generations.  

So when my community asked something of me...how could I say no?

Okay, so despite the fact that I'm feeling a little stung by the "upper age bracket" I found myself in tonight, I need to call a spade a spade.  I NEVER would have attended that focus group even five years ago, because my life was just too busy.  I remember being asked to serve on my homeowner's association board 6 years ago.  It was the summer before my oldest son's senior year, and I respectfully declined.  I remember telling my neighbor that I was entering quite possibly the busiest year of my life. And I think it was.  I had two sons that were playing high school football and baseball, which meant I attended JV and Varsity games.  My daughter danced, played piano, participated in Girl Scouts, just to name a few of the activities.  And I attended it all, as well as serving team meals, and chairing fundraising events.  And this is just the tip of the ice berg.  I know that there are younger folks out there that are involved in their communities...but I was maxxed out back then.  I couldn't add another "to do" to my list.

Being 49 years old means I only have one child at home, and for me, that means I have a lot more time on my hands...especially in the evening.  I suppose that's why the room was filled with others like me...they have time as well.  So I'm going to acknowledge the Sweet Fringe Benefit of being able to give back to my community, without being over-scheduled and over-stressed.   

"To every thing there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven..." Ecclesiastes 3:1


Outfit of the Day:  JCrew Factory mint green cardigan, JCrew Factory grey vneck tshirt, target floral scarf, Joe Fresh houndstooth corduroys, snakeskin pumps, Emaack Designs bracelets.

I do need to be more involved in my community...wish I didn't see the age thing...that's a little painful. I wish it was off my radar...but unfortunately it seems to be constantly on my mind.  But I'll continue to blog and find all the sfb's possible...

Nanette

Comments

Popular Posts