It's a Wonderful Life...

My parents are here with me for one more week.  I'm trying to keep them busy and entertained.  My Mom's idea of "busy" is laundry, dishes, sweeping and anything that resembles a project NOT sitting. My Dad's idea of "busy" is sitting trading stocks, sitting watching CNBC, mall walking and going to lunch.  So...you can see my daily challenge to keep them happy.

Today I took them to The Frist Center, Nashville's version of a Museum of Art.  "American Chronicles: The Art of Norman Rockwell" is the current exhibit.  When I suggested that we go, my mother was all over it.  Most times when I suggest an activity, she says "We'll see," or "Maybe". She jumped right on this.  And my Dad was willing.  So off we went, in the low 20 degree temps and blowing wind.

We had a great day.  They loved every detail of the exhibit, and especially the memories that it evoked. My mother had tears in her eyes at the end as she told me that, "This was my life."  At the end of the exhibit they had over 100 covers of The Saturday Evening Post on display.  My Dad said they subscribed to the Post for over 20 years.  They remember as children, teenagers, young adults, young marrieds, and middle age folks what Norman Rockwell painted.  They were both quite overwhelmed with the experience.  Not sadded overwhelmed...joyful overwhelmed. They've had a wonderful life.

For me, Norman Rockwell brings me back to when my oldest was 2 years old, and I was 7 months pregnant with my second child.  A girlfriend had come to town, and wanted to visit the Norman Rockwell museum in Stockbridge, Massachusetts.  I remember trying to describe each painting with enthusiam to my 2 year old...and...ya, that didn't go so well.  I just kept taking him outside the museum to run on the lawn.

I love this picture even more now that I know the background.  This was
one of four paintings Rockwell produced to promote Pres. Roosevelt's
Four Freedoms.    This represents Freedom from Want.
Today's Sweet Fringe Benefit is having parents that have LIVED history.  I will never forget my mother's tender moment at the end of the exhibit.  I would imagine what she felt was a little bit of a "my life flashing before my eyes" moment.  I love that I could share that moment with her. Reflections, even on this blog, have at times been painful.  Because it's a reflection, it's a memory...it means it's over. But I love the feeling of knowing that I lived it.  And my Mom did too today.  


Outfit of the Day:  It was FREEZING today.  I wore this boiled wool capelet all day.  Good thing it's cute (nod nod wink wink).  Willi Smith black boiled wool capelet, Ann Klein Black cotton blouse, Banana Republic Cheetah print camden pants, Banana Republic black flats, Emaack Designs statement necklace.

I hope I was able to articulate my thoughts tonight.  Sometimes they're complicated.  It was just a good day...a tender moment...a Sweet Fringe Benefit of being 49 years old...

Nanette

Comments

Popular Posts