The change...(not THAT change silly)

Wow.  I was in rough shape my last post.  It was the end of a very joyful, busy, family-filled couple of weeks.  I love the Christmas season, especially this past one.  Lots of company, too much good food, plenty of children laughing and singing, beautiful decorations....but as much as I love it, I love January just as much.  I've never suffered from the winter doldrums...I mean, I might complain a little about the darkness or the cold, but really...I love a good run outside in 20 degrees, I love the decorations being put away and my house feeling "half-empty", and I love the quiet.  My mother even enjoyed our quiet house today...she read a book, she actually sat down and read a book.  Yes, she's 89...but memories of my mom reading were at the kitchen table standing up...and then usually yelling at us kids something like, "I've read the same sentence 10 times!  Can't I just finish this paragraph?"  Nope...no struggle with that for her today.

I'm realizing something right now...I enjoy change.  Change in season, change month to month, change in weather, change in routine, change in surroundings...so maybe this "change" (boy that's a term from my mother's generation) I'm going through is a positive thing, right?  I've never been good at menu-planning...when I grocery shop, I buy ingredients for 3 dinners to be made sometime in the next week. I hate being pinned down to a schedule just for a schedule's sake.  I'm going to remember how much I like change the next time I wake up 4x a night.

Today's Sweet Fringe Benefit is January:  a change in decor, a change in weather, a change in company, a change in year, a change in focus.  And being 49 years old means January is also quiet. Yes, I fill my time with new projects...like my daughter's room redo.  Or my volunteer work at church that is getting very busy right now.  But January means more sleep, eating healthier, more time for workouts (and bike rides soon) and time to recover from my PTHD (Post Traumatic Holiday Disorder).  When you have little ones around, there's a little relief with the excitement of Christmas being over, but you still have their schedule to keep up with, noses and bottoms to wipe, the endless dark evenings that you could swear 6:00 pm should be 9:00 pm because it feels like it's been dark for 5 hours and they should be in bed already.  Ya, I love January now.


Christmas is put away, and my decor is back to normal. I fill my little corner hutch in my kitchen with different holiday displays each season.  Valentine's is up.  I love the wedding pictures from our family. It's a perfect backdrop for the Valentine tchotche's.

Outfit of the Day:  Ok.  I have to confess something.  I wanted to stay in my workout gear all day today.  First, my bootcamp wasn't offered until 11:00 am because of the severe cold we are experiencing.  When I came home, I was just so toasty warm in my leggings and fleece vest.  Something about this time of year makes me want to stay in yoga pants...going to resist it.  But I was not a fashion slave...it was all about staying warm today.  Boden Orange Wool cardigan, Loft chambray blouse, Banana Republic Cheetah Print Camden Fit pants, Emaack Designs Statement necklace...and my slippers...

Remember, to me, getting dressed for the day is more about my self-image and feeling positive about my day.  Not about showing off my wardrobe or making you feel guilty about not getting dressed.  I just know it's what I need to do.  It's mentally healthy for me.

Stay warm, and enjoy this new month!

Nanette

Comments

Popular Posts